Saturday, March 2, 2019

Fall is in the Air

       Hello! Today I’ll be discussing the characteristics of fall magazines! Hope you enjoy:

       Last week my group talked about what season each of our magazines would be from so that we could each have our own distinct color scheme while still retaining the same layout and look. As of now, Valentina is doing spring, Malena is doing summer, and I’m doing fall. I’ve always loved flipping through fall fashion magazines so I can’t wait to start working on mine!
       So, fall magazines usually come out in August, September, October, or November and include fall-specific fashion trends such as flannel, sweaters, jeans, coats, boots, etc. These represent people’s gradual wardrobe change to warmer clothes as the outside temperature begins to drop. In addition, beauty products that are included in magazines are usually warm-toned and darker than those used in summer or spring. After looking through many fall fashion magazines, I realized that the most prominent color that is utilized is RED. It’s everywhere! Not only is red eye-catching, it also provokes increased confidence in readers (which leads to greater satisfaction with magazine content) and matches the warm-toned theme of fall. It’s a win-win-win.




       As shown by the magazines above, the color red is included on the cover very often. However, some magazines use a lot of pink to appeal to their audience as well! This is also an eye-catching color that causes comfort and hope, which is something that brands want to induce in readers for them to be more willing to buy and read the magazine. Also, since pink is seen as more ‘feminine’ than other colors, fashion magazines implement it in their covers because they usually target female audiences. Here are some examples:






       Something that I found surprising was that many fall magazines include women with short-sleeved outfits, and they’re mostly always dresses. This interested me because fall is usually a time when people wear long-sleeved attire. This was probably a way to appeal to readers since women’s bare arms were photographed. For my magazine, I’d like to implement various shades of red in my cover as well as throughout the table of contents and two-paged spread. This will add a pop of color and definitely appeal to my audience. I’m not sure about including bright pink because I’d like to go with a color scheme that is darker and more fall-oriented. Stay tuned for a more in-depth look into my plan for the colors in my mag!
       One logistical problem that I could encounter is that having a photoshoot in sunny, humid, boiling hot Florida weather could make it difficult for my model to wear fall clothing (such as sweaters) for long periods of time. But I’m sure I’ll figure it out. (Hopefully). Location-wise, I’m thinking of taking pictures in a forest in a nearby park called Markham Park. Because the leaves will probably be green and not red, orange, brown, or yellow, I’ll probably put a warm-toned filter on my pictures to give them a more ‘fall’ look. This is all pure brainstorming for now, so I’ll let you know all of my final decisions when the time comes!


Talk to you soon, 
Catalina

Image Citations (in order of appearance):

Cimple. (2015, August 14). Fall Fashion Magazines. Retrieved March 1, 2019, from https://cimple.life/2015/08/14/fall-fashion-magazines/
Steigrad, A. (2016, August 22). The September Mag Dance: The Good, the Bad and the Forgettable. Retrieved March 1, 2019, from https://wwd.com/business-news/media/reviews-september-covers-vogue-bazaar-elle-glamour-instyle-10510899/
Miss Monét. (2013, August 19). Model Moment: The September Issues 2013. Retrieved March 1, 2019, from https://missmonetdotnet.wordpress.com/tag/fashion-magazines/
Brabbu. (2016, September 27). The Best Fashion Magazines To Take Inspiration From This Fall/Winter. Retrieved March 1, 2019, from https://www.brabbu.com/en/inspiration-and-ideas/trends/best-fashion-magazines-inspiration-fallwinter
Critics At Large. (2011, September 1). Renewal: The Fall Fashion Magazines. Retrieved March 1, 2019, from https://www.criticsatlarge.ca/2011/09/renewal-fall-fashion-magazines.html
Magazines Blog. (2012, September 19). This Season's Covers Hint at What's New in Fall Fashion. Retrieved March 1, 2019, from http://blog.magazines.com/september-covers-hint-at-whats-new-in-fall-fashion
Fashion School Daily. (2011, August 12). Vogue the Top Selling Fashion Magazine | AcademyUFashion Blog. Retrieved March 1, 2019, from https://fashionschooldaily.com/11876/vogue-is-the-top-selling-fashion-magazine/
Steigrad, A. (2016, August 22). The September Mag Dance: The Good, the Bad and the Forgettable. Retrieved March 1, 2019, from https://wwd.com/business-news/media/reviews-september-covers-vogue-bazaar-elle-glamour-instyle-10510899/

No comments:

Post a Comment